Accelerating Medicines Partnership® Program – Type 2 Diabetes Project
Advancing treatments for Type 2 Diabetes by integrating patient data on a common platform for wider sharing and more rigorous analysis
The Accelerating Medicines Partnership® Program Type 2 Diabetes Project (AMP® T2D) is a precompetitive partnership among government, industry and nonprofit organizations that harnesses the collective capabilities, scale and resources to improve current efforts to develop new therapies for complex, heterogeneous diseases, such as diabetes and diabetic complications. To date, the AMP T2D project has:
1) amassed, integrated and harmonized genetic and genomic data from existing cohorts from over 1.5 million individuals and made them publicly accessible for querying;
2) connected the data from over 230 phenotypes related to type 2 diabetes and metabolic complications and generated new genomic and target annotation data;
3) built a sophisticated and powerful Type 2 Diabetes Knowledge Portal that enables the broader scientific community and the public to access the data; and
4) developed advanced analytic tools that allow users to perform queries and test hypotheses to prioritize therapeutic targets.
Since its launch in 2014, the AMP T2D Knowledge Portal has become the go-to source for researchers to deposit large amounts of diabetes and complications data for published studies (newly deposited data are curated and harmonized for querying alongside preexisting data). From 2019 to 2020, to accelerate the growth of the AMP T2D database, the program funded thirteen additional proposals. The 5-year, $58M project has been extended until 2021.
Visit the Knowledge Portal and access data and tools here.
Read a program overview on the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) website here.
Read the full project plan here.
Follow the latest development on the Knowledge Portal blog.
- American Diabetes Association*
- Eli Lilly and Company*
- Janssen Research and Development LLC*
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation*
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.*
- Pfizer Inc.*
- Sanofi US Services*
*Provided financial or in-kind support for this program.
- Nature Reviews Drug Discovery (February 27, 2019): Massive NIH-industry project opens portals to target validation
- Nature (May 22, 2019): Exome sequencing of 20,791 cases of type 2 diabetes and 24,440 controls
- NIH News Release (June 2016): Diabetes portal adds data, more powerful search tools
- Accelerating Medicines Partnership expands reach, potential of type 2 diabetes engine
- Press release: Accelerating Medicines Partnership Announces Awards to Advance Research in Type 2 Diabetes
- AMP T2D Knowledge Portal
- NIH Overview of Accelerating Medicines Partnership Type 2 Diabetes
- Accelerating Medicines Partnership
- Accelerating Medicines Partnership - Alzheimer's Disease
- Accelerating Medicines Partnership: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systematic Lupus Erythematosus & Related Autoimmune Disorders
ACCELERATING MEDICINES PARTNERSHIP and AMP are registered service marks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services