The Dr. John Laws Decker Memorial Fund honors the late John Laws Decker, M.D., who began working at the NIH in 1965 and had a long career as Chief of Arthritis and Rheumatism Branch before serving as the NIH Clinical Center Director and Associate Director for Clinical Care from 1983 until his retirement in 1990.
Dr. Decker was an outstanding teacher who strived to connect scientific communications around the world in an effort to accelerate important Research. As part of the memorial, the NIH Fellows Committee nominates a presenter for the annual John Laws Decker Memorial Lecture at the Contemporary Clinical Medicine: Great Teachers Grand Rounds Program. This speaker also receives the Distinguished Clinical Teacher’s Award. The John Laws Decker Memorial Lecture is a fitting tribute to a recognized leader and teacher who was dedicated to Education and to promoting Research communication.
In June the Distinguished Clinical Teachers Award recipient presents at the annual John Laws Decker Memorial lecture. To view theseLectures please visit https://videocast.nih.gov/.
- NIH Clinical Center
- Family of John Laws Decker*
*Provided financial or in-kind support for this program.
- For more information, please contact Advancement Officer Laren Friedman at [email protected] or 301-451-8855.
- Present the annual John Laws Decker Memorial Lecture and the Distinguished Clinical Teacher’s Award
Results & Accomplishments
- Since 2004, the Decker Memorial Fund has presented 17 John Laws Decker Memorial Lectures.
- Clinical Center News (Summer 2021): Hernandez honored as Distinguished Clinical Teacher